Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Migrate test case from HP - Quality Center and Excel

Hi,

I’m in the middle of evaluating the TestRail and so far it looks very nice.
i would like to know if there is an option to migrate tests from QC and Excel.

thanks,

Hi Doron,

Thanks for your posting and for the feedback. Glad to hear that you found TestRail useful so far. You can import existing test cases into TestRail via our XML-based import file format. You can find the import icon on the test suite page (it’s the one with the green arrow pointing to an app window). Now to migrate Excel files to our import file format we have a script available on our website here:

http://code.gurock.com/p/testrail-migrate/page/csv2testrail/

You can also use this script to migrate your existing test cases from Quality Center to TestRail by exporting the test cases to a CSV or Excel file. It’s usually needed to adjust the above migrating script for your particular file format, but we might also be able to help with this if you like.

Thanks,
Dennis

how can i migrate thousands of test case in HPQC to TestRail in one Go

Hi Shirish,

Thank you for the post. HPQC should have the option to export your test cases as either a CSV or Excel document. Once you have your test cases exported to either of these formats, (Excel you would need to convert to CSV), you would be able to import your test cases into TestRail. Keep in mind that you may need to tweak some of the column layout in your export as I am not 100% sure how HPQC will layout the data.

As an example we have several CSV examples located on our Github page. Specifically the following is very helpful as it includes test steps:

Cheers,
Marty Lavender
Customer Success Team