Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Merging two TestRail instances into one

Hello,
My company has two TestRail instances (with different projects, settings, users, roles, etc.) on two different servers.
We are planning (thinking) to merge these two instances (source) into one (target) so that there will be easy for tracking and maintenance as all users, projects will be on single instance.

• Is this possible (merging two data bases along with users)?
  • If yes, Is there a procedure or guidelines to follow to achieve this?
  • OR is there a better way than the way I thought?

Thank you,
Mahantesh

Hi Mahantesh,

Thank you for the post. It is possible to merge two TestRail instances but not in a direct 1:1 manner. TestRail contains no mechanism to simply import the data from one instance into another. What you would need to do is to export your test cases to XML format. You can then import these test cases into TestRail. You will also need to ensure that you have the same custom fields in both TestRail instances. When importing XML, if a field does not exist, the importer simply ignores that data. You will also want to make sure that if you are using any custom templates, that those exist as well.

Hi martylavender,
Thank you for the response.

If it was like a merge of two instances, then it would have been great.

Ok. Is it a just test cases import/export feature? Is there a step by step procedure document or information to be followed?

How to take care of attachments, project names, users with permissions, settings (Administration) information, My Settings, etc.so that new instance will be a exact replica of old instance w.r.t information.

It would be good to have what is possible and what is not from export/import procedure to plan the things properly.

Hi Mahantesh,

Thanks for your reply! The XML export/import process would just be used to migrate test cases and sections, and wouldn’t bring any test runs/results/history. All settings, users, attachments and custom fields would need to be re-added manually to the new instance and TestRail currently wouldn’t support a merge or migration option for these as the database wouldn’t support this currently.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,
Thanks for the quick updates.

This is really a bad new for me :frowning:
Because we have test cases ~2500 in one instance and in that ~2000 test cases have the attachments.
So doing it manually a very much tedious job.

However, I would request Gurock team to provide this feature at the earliest so that, in future any such scenario’s, can be done quickly without loosing any data.

Regards,
Mahantesh

Hi Mahantesh,

Thanks for your reply! We do have a feature request that we’re tracking regarding this, however we don’t have any timeframes/ETAs we can provide for this just yet. I’ve added your vote to the request, and we’re happy to review this for a future update to TestRail.

Regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,
Thank you for the updates & the information.

Regards,
Mahantesh

Hi Mahantesh,

Thanks for the feedback! Just let us know in case you have any additional questions and we’re happy to help!

Regards,
Marco