Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Maximum file size for CSV test case import

I have a very large (1337KB) csv file that needs to be imported into TestRail. What is the maximum size per file allowed?

Also, there are 42 column headings…is it possible to map all those to either system or custom fields in a template?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks for the post! When importing a CSV the max file size you can use for the import would be roughly 10 MB, so you should be fine with the file you’re using.

For the column headings, you will be prompted to link the different columns with the relevant fields in TestRail during the import process, and you can create custom fields for any that may not already exist in the system for the import to map to. For more info on setting up the import and getting your fields mapped, I’d recommend checking the guide here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-import-csv

If you have any further questions feel free to reply here or reach out to the TestRail support team at contact@gurock.com.

Thank you Jacob.
I am getting the following error while trying to import the data:

I see this in the system log:

[ControllerException] Maximum POST or upload size was exceeded.

Details: <missing>
File: /app/testrail/sys/helpers/ex.php
Line: 25
Status Code: 500
Host: testrail-sbx.hcqis.org
Uri: /index.php?/attachments/ajax_add_for_user/&is_upload=1&is_import=1 (POST)

Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.110 Safari/537.36
PHP: 5.4.16
Server: Linux 3.10.0-957.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 4 20:48:51 UTC 2018 x86_64

Trace:
at ex::raise (ex.php:25)
at ex::raise (controller.php:282)
at Controller->_raise (controller.php:102)
at Controller->_check_for_post_size (controller.php:25)
at Controller->_init (base.php:18)
at BaseController->_init (application.php:17)
at ApplicationController->_init (protected.php:16)
at ProtectedController->_init (attachments.php:15)
at Attachments_controller->_init (gizmo.php:106)
at require_once (index.php:106)

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much! Valerie

Hey Valerie,

Apologies for the confusion. The 10 MB limit is set for the TestRail Cloud instances. For TestRail Server, it will default to whatever you have configured in your server’s PHP.ini file. I’d recommend locating that file (you can find it on a Linux server in terminal by using php --ini or by setting up a PHP info file) and increasing the values of upload_max_filesize and post_max_size to greater than the file you’re attempting to upload. In our documentation we recommend setting these values to 64 MB.

Hope that helps! If you have any further questions I’d recommend reaching out to our support team at contact@gurock.com for further assistance.