Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Mandatory field in Add Test Result

Hi,

quick one is it possible to change Elapsed field when entering test result to mandatory for all testers ?

At the moment its not mandatory and some testers wont fill it.

Thanks,
Viljam

Hello Viljam,

Thanks for your posting. While not a built-in feature, this is supported with UI scripts (starting with TestRail 3.0 ). I will prepare a small example for this and get back to you then.

Regards,
Tobias

Hello Viljam,

Sorry that it took a bit longer but here’s the UI script for making the Elapsed field mandatory:

[code]
name: Make Elapsed field required
description: Makes the Elapsed field required on Add Result dialog
author: Gurock Software
version: 1.0
includes:
excludes:

js:
(document).ready( function() { .subscribe(‘result_dialog.loaded’, ‘uiscript1’, function(o)
{
$(’#addResultElapsed’).prev().append(’ *’);
});

$.subscribe('result_dialog.validate', 'uiscript1', function(o)
    {
        if ($.trim(o.values.elapsed) == '')
        {
            $('#addResultErrors').append('Field Elapsed is a required field.');
            $('#addResultErrors').show();
            o.event.stopPropagation();
            return;
        }
    });
}

);[/code]

You can add this UI script under Administration > Customizations > Add UI Script.

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias :slight_smile:

You are welcome, Viljam.

Hi,

I tried to borrow this UI script for making the “Elapsed” field mandatory, but got an error message:
“Line 8 uses an invalid format (“name: value” expected).”

Do I need a newer version of the script?

Hello,

The latest TestRail version has built-in option for this so you can change the field settings under Administration > Customizations. I would recommend using this over an UI script.

Finally we got the latest version installed, now using it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

That’s great to hear, Malte :smile: Just let us know in case any questions come up about the new version, we are happy to help!

Regards,
Tobias