Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Managing Test Status

How do you manage the test run set when you decide to do not run a few test cases and don’t want to remove them in order to keep track on reporting? It might happens when you don’t have enough time to execute them and decide to leave aside the low risk ones. Or for whatever reason that funcionality was removed from the project scope. I would use status as “not applicable”, “out of scope” or “risk analysis” on this situations.
Many thanks,
Ana Zadra

Hello Ana,

Thanks for your posting. When you say “to keep track on reporting”, does it mean that you wouldn’t want to remove the tests from the run (via the Cases tab on the Add/Edit Run page), so the tests still appear in the status statistics? You could use the Blocked status for this, but we are also looking into support custom statuses at some point.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dennis

Thanks for your answer Dennis. Yes, if I some low risk test cases were not run because of resources issues, I would like to still see them on the report, and I don’t think “Blocked” represent it. Blocked test cases on my concept are those ones you are unable to run because an open defect.
Also, I just noticed that once you assign a status to a test you cannot set them as “Untested” anymore. So if the user change the status by mistake, there’s no way to fix it. Same way when you set an untested test case to blocked. What would be it next status?
I think the status management should be more flexible.
Cheers,
Ana Zadra

Hello Ana,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we would like to support additional/custom test statuses at some point, so you could use a special status for these situations then.

You are correct that you cannot set a test to untested again, but you can simply override any test result by adding another result. In this case you would simply assign the Retest status, and it would appear on the Todo page of the assigned user again and it would also show the Retest status on the run pages and in the statistics.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dennis