Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Managing long lists of active projects

We currently have over 20 active projects and as the list has grown we have found it more difficult to use the project list to find and discover projects. Unfortunately we can’t make use of the “completed” feature as the projects are, and will remain, active.

Is there a feature to help organise projects? Ideally we’d like to assign a hierarchy of tags to projects (e.g. one/two, one/four/five, one/four/six, seven/eight) and then browse projects using that tag hierarchy.

Regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your posting. For long project lists, we recommend switching the view mode on the dashboard page (via the yellow icons at the top) to compact. This will render the list of projects in a much more compact way and allows you to find projects more quickly. TR 5.3 also introduced a new project favorite feature which allows you to mark select projects as favorite to move them to the top of the list.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Yes, the compact view is helpful as is the favourite option, but these only mildly improves the project list for me. To illustrate with a concrete example, we make products (hardware + software) and a single software stack may be used to make multiple products. That software stack is comprised of many individual software libraries which may be used in other stacks. For example:

software-stack-1 (makes Product-A, Product-B, and Product-C)
  common
  product-a-specific
  product-b-specific
  product-c-specific
  libs
    libone
    libtwo
    libthree

software-stack-2 (makes product-D)
  common
  libs
    libone
    libtwo

software-stack-3 (makes Product-E)
  common
  libs
    libone
    libthree

We have over 100 active git repositories, one each per library and stack and each of these (will eventually) have a corresponding project in TestRail. Managing these projects in TestRail is becoming increasingly difficult, particularly when tests are sometimes “product based” and tests are some times “project or stack based”.

This is where a tag-based approach would be useful for me, so I can browse the software components by product, by stack, or by whatever wacky system that seems useful at the time :slight_smile:

For example, by tagging the following TestRail projects (each project is in bold) as follows:

• libone: lib, stack/1, stack/2, stack/3
  • libtwo: lib, stack/1, stack/2
  • libthree: lib, stack/1, stack/3
  • stack-1: product/A, product/B, product/C
  • stack-2: product/D
  • stack-3: product/E

I get a browsable tag hierarchy that allows me to select a node in the tag tree to see all projects (listed in parenthesis):

|--stack (libone | libtwo | libthree | stack-1 | stack-2 | stack-3)
|   |----1 (libone | libtwo | libthree | stack-1)
|   |----2 (libone | libtwo | stack-2)
|   \----3 (libone | libthree | stack-3)
|--lib (libone | libtwo | libthree)
\--product (stack-1 | stack-2 | stack-3)
    |----A (stack-1)
    |----B (stack-1)
    |----C (stack-1)
    |----D (stack-2)
    \----E (stack-3) 

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the additional details, that’s helpful! I haven’t seen this use case before but it certainly makes sense. One option is to add the tags directly to the project name but I’m not sure if this would be an option for you. This would allow you to use the browser search to find tags/projects quickly on the overview page.

Cheers,
Tobias