Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Looking for a report type that shows only unique defect IDs from a given test run

Hello!

I can’t figure out how to generate a report for a test run that shows only unique defects from a given test run. For our use case, QA attaches a defect ID to all failed and blocked test cases. This means that many test cases may have results that reference the same defect. When looking at the Defects tab of a test run, it shows the count of unique defects found, but in the displayed results, it shows every test case with an associated defect. I would love a report that just shows the unique defects associated with a test run. It’s also possible that there is a better way to handle these results, which I’m happy to hear about if that’s the case.

Thanks!

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your post! You can use the Summary for Defects report under the Reports tab to generate a list of defects specific to a single test run. The report options section allows you to configure a specific set of test runs or even a single test run under the ‘Sections & Test Runs’ tab. So you can choose your test run here and then generate the report based on this to view all defects from the run. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Thanks for your response. I’m aware of that report. What I don’t have is the ability to just show the unique issues impacting a test run. When I run the summary defects report, it pivots on the test cases themselves, meaning that for N cases that failed due to a given bug, that bug will be listed N times. I would like a report that pivots on the defects, showing only a list of the unique defects impacting a test run, ideally with a number of cases failed due to that defect and a link to filter on the cases affected by that defect.

Hi Danny,

You can look into using the Defects > Summary report. The Summary for Cases report will use a case/defect matrix as you mentioned but the regular Summary report will only include the defects and then lists the tests/results for those defects and this should work for your use case.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias