Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Logging over VMWare virtual machine

Hi,
I’ve downloaded trial version of SmartInspect and using it with Delphi 2007. This is absolutely great product.

However, I’m stuck with a problem here. I’m using Windows Xp as my development environment, using VMWare workstation 7 to run Windows 7 as my testing environment.

I want to run SmartInspect console on host Windows Xp and run my software in guest Windows 7. I’m using Si.Connections := 'tcp()'; as connection string but the logs are not appearing on the console (at host pc). I’m currently using NAT option under VMWare’s networking settings.

So my question is-

1. What should be my connections property value here? (I want live logging, so logging in a file doesn’t suit me)
  2. What networking option should I use for VMWare? (NAT/Bridged/Host only)

Hello,

[quote=JKKunil]Hi,

1. What should be my connections property value here? (I want live logging, so logging in a file doesn’t suit me)
  2. What networking option should I use for VMWare? (NAT/Bridged/Host only)[/quote]

Thanks for your message. First of all, all three VMWare networking options will work if the Console is running on your host PC. To connect the library via TCP to another host, you will need to specify the IP address of the host in the connection string. For example, if the Console is running on a machine with the IP address of 10.0.0.5, you would need to use the following connection string:

Now you just need to figure out the IP address that you can use to reach the host machine from your virtual machine. This depends on the networking option you use. If you use Bridged mode, you can just use the standard IP address of your host machine. With one of the other networking options, you will need to use one of the private IP addresses assigned by VMWare to your host. To find out the IP addresses of your machine, just run ipconfig from the Windows command line on your host machine.

You might also need to add a rule to your Windows firewall to allow incoming connections on port 4228 (this might already be configured if you clicked Unblock when Windows asked you about this when you first launched the Console).

I hope this helps! Let me know in case you have any connection problems.

Regards,
Dennis