Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Logging Channels?

In addition to logging levels I’ve been reading up on Event Tracing for Windows (ETW)'s channels. I like the idea of separating output into four channels with individual purposes:

[list=]
[
]Events raised into an admin channel are actionable events; upon receiving an event, the administrator should immediately know why the event was raised and what to do about it.[/]
[
]Events raised into an operational channel are targeted at high-level monitoring tools and support staff; they offer more detailed context and are more frequent than admin channel events.[/]
[
]Events grouped in admin and operational channels are sent to the event log automatically and displayed in the Event Viewer.[/]
[
]An analytic channel is for traditional traces that are targeted at expert-level support professionals or detailed diagnosis and troubleshooting tools.[/]
[
]A debug channel is to be used for debug messages and contains events that are meant to be consumed by developers.[/*]
[/list]

How would one model this in SmartInspect? ETW APIs are largely Win32 based at this point and not very accessible from .NET which is why I’m looking to SmartInspect.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the feedback. You could simply use SmartInspect’s default log levels for the different purposes / channels. You could alternatively also use SmartInspect’s sessions for this, but you would usually use sessions to group your log messages by application modules, users or e.g. session IDs so you can monitor related log messages separately. So based on this I would either use log levels or even multiple SmartInspect instances to model the channels in SmartInspect.

Thanks,
Dennis