Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Linking same test case to 2 seperate Jira stories

Hi ,

I linked same test case which is applicable to 2 different Jira stories:

I go to jira issue 1 and fail the test case but in Jira issue 2 that test case appears as failed, which is misleading.
In Jira i dont have information about for which jira issue the test case have failed.
As the test case appears failed in both jira stories.

I have linked that test case to 2 jira story as a reference.

Also in Sprint1 i execute 20 test cases. In sprint 2 i create 20 more test cases and i want to execute all 40.
20 as new test cases and previous 20 as regression test cases.

i assume i create a test a plan " Sprint1" . in that i create test run, Execute 20 test cases.
then for next sprint i create a new test plan " sprint2", in that i create new test run , import all 40 test cases and execute. Is there a better way to do this or is this the best way to achieve it?

Thanks
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for the post. You are correct. When marking items as failed, the add-on simply reads the value that is supplied and does not give any additional context. You should see a reference to the test that was failed however or the test case that is referencing it within the add-on section in your JIRA tickets.

What you described in terms of sprints and test plans/runs is correct. This is the best way to handle this and to keep these tests separated or you could add an additional custom field that handles marking test cases as regression and then filter on these when running reports.

Hi ,

For your comment: below
You should see a reference to the test that was failed however or the
test case that is referencing it within the add-on section in your JIRA
tickets.

[RC] i have same test case referencing to 2 user stories. and it shows as failed for both stories.
If i fail that tc in user story 1 why does it show as failed in user story2 as well. Thats confusing

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your feedback! The TestRail for JIRA add-on would always show all results for any linked test cases, and as both user stories are linked to the test case then they would also both see all results for the test case. This is also still helpful for added context in most cases, however if the user stories are unrelated and entirely separate, then this might not be the best approach. In some cases, you may also want to create a separate duplicate test case (and you can use the copy feature to just copy this), and just link each one to their respective user story separately so that the results don’t conflict with each other.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco