Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Keeping a copy of a TestSuite/alternative for a Baseline?

Hi,

Yes, I am excited about the principle workflow to use:

• Multiple TestSuites for features/thematical areas - split in Sections for Test Case-Hierarchy
  • Define Milestones according to the delivery plan
  • Generate Testplans and assign milestones to those testplans
  • Assign TestSuites (Testcases) to a Testplan - using Configurations: TestRuns are generated automatically
  • Carry out the tests
  • Close the Testplan: Tests and results are archived - Report of this archived data any time possible.

BUT THERE IS NO OPTION TO MAKE A FREEZE OF THE TESTCASES AT THAT POINT IN TIME.
TESTCASES CAN BE FURTHER AMENDED. When a rerun of a Closed TestPlan is carried out, the latest version of the testcases are displayed/used.

Now, I thought to make a copy of the TestSuite, add a “version”-name and make this Testsuite READ-ONLY but from what I have seen access rights can only be amended on Project Level and not on TestSuite Level.

Am I missing something? How do other customers deal with this?

Thanks,
ann

Looks like the Roles have Add/Edit (and Delete) permissions on the TestSuite. I think being an Administrator overrrides this so it is difficult for me to test. Unfortunately it may not work the best for you depending on the Roles defined and who is in them.

Our Test cases are pretty fluid and we have a small QA group (actually tiny) so we have to be able to edit test cases.

Hi,

Where do you see that you can Add/Edit/Delete permissions on the TestSuite. I see that this is only possible on Project-level?
You can set the rights for a user to not be able to change TestSuites in general, but not just for one specific one… Am I missing something? Thanks, ann

I think it is in the permissions on the Roles portion of the User/Roles section of Test Rail Administration.