Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

JIRA Workflow directly to TestRail

Hi guys!

My team has one improvement to their workflow and I would like to assess if it is possible.

Basically when they Change the status if a JIRA issue (a defect) they have then to go and change the status of the associated Tests in TestRail one by one to “Retest”. It there a way to make this an automated process?

Best Regards,
Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your posting! It’s currently not possible to automate this directly in TestRail. This has come up before and we found that there are a few issues with this automated workflow. Often times, a test is not really ready to retest even if the linked defect or bug was fixed/closed. For example, a tester might not have access to the same build as the developers, an up-to-date test environment or something else that prevents him from verifying the test. We recommend a manual work flow and this also makes it easier to add context details for the testers such as comments or instructions from the developer who closed/fixed the issue.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Ok I understand. Is there any way to perform bulk changes in the GUI so that I would for example filter per defect and then be able to change the status of multiple Test Cases at the same time?

EDIT (FOUND ANSWER): Just found the answer to my own question… You just multiple select and the do “Add Test Result” and then change the status for all of them in one swoop…

Best Regards!

Hi Igor,

Yes, you can add the Defects/Defects All column to the tables/grid (with the Columns button) to see the defects for your tests/results. You can then use the checkboxes on the left and the Add Result button above the tests to add multiple results to the tests.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias