Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

JIRA test cases before initial QA testing?

I see there is good integration with JIRA to open an issue if a defect is found in testing, but how about the other way? Earlier in the development lifecycle when a new feature/story is defined in JIRA, I want to start creating test cases for it and keep them linked to the original request so when QA tests later in the process, it will be very explicit as to which JIRA issue was the source of it? thoughts?

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your posting. The test cases’ References field was created for this purpose. You can use this field to link test cases to original issues (or user stories etc.). You can also configure TestRail to automatically link entered issue IDs back to your JIRA installation. You can learn more about the References field integration here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/references-introduction

When you take a look at the JIRA integration documentation, you can also see the recommended configuration settings for the references field (at the end of the article):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira

I hope this helps. Just let us know in case you have any questions about the References field.

Thanks,
Dennis

Thanks, is there also a JIRA plugin to show available test cases from that side back into testrail?

Hi Kevin,

We don’t currently have a JIRA plugin for this, although we are considering providing plugins for a few select bug trackers in the future. Please note that we include a link back to TestRail when you push a bug report to JIRA. If this is a critical feature for test cases/reference links for you, it would be possible to implement this as a custom plugin for JIRA in the meantime.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dennis

Yes, the interest is to make sure the develop has complete visibility to the test cases needed for a given story/ticket. The desire would be to see a dynamically loaded list of linked test cases from within the ticket on a panel (much like how the source control, logged work and comments tabs go). Maybe also the option to add additional ones there. thoughts?

Hi Kevin,

I agree that this would be useful to have and we will look into this for future enhancements. If you have the in-house resources to build such a JIRA plugin yourself, you could already accomplish this. You would simply query TestRail’s database based on the issue ID and references field to show related test cases in JIRA.

Thanks,
Dennis