Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Jira REST plugin Assignee field does not show all Jira users

The Jira REST plugin released in 2.7.1 only displays about 50 users from Jira for the Assignee field. Can you extend this to include the full list of users. Also, is it possible to have custom user field pull the same user list from Jira that Assignee uses?

Thanks for your posting. Yes, this is a known issue and was already fixed in the current development snapshot. We will deploy the new version of the REST plugin to TestRail Hosted shortly and I will notify you once this is available. Please let me know in case you have any questions in the meantime.

Regards,
Tobias

We’ve now updated the Jira_REST plugin on TestRail Hosted and you should now see the full list of users (along with some other changes such as improved performance when you use custom fields, e.g.).

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you need anything else.

Regards,
Tobias

Sorry, I forgot to answer the user custom field question. User-based dropdown and/or multi-select custom fields should already be supported, yes, and this should also display the list of users like the Assignee field. Have you already tried this?

Regards,
Tobias

The Assignee field works now. I noticed that the fixVersion field pulls back versions that have been archived in Jira. Is it possible to hide these?

I have not been able to get custom user-based dropdowns to work. Am I able to do this within the Jira_REST plugin or do I need to create a custom jira php file to do the mappings.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the update and good to hear that the Assignee field works now as expected.

Could you let me know what you’ve already tried for your user-based custom field? You would usually just need to add the custom field to the Defect Plugin Configuration field as follows:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira-rest#custom_fields

It is currently not supported to hide archived versions in the standard defect plugin, but I’ve added this as a feature request. That said, it should already be possible to create a custom version of Jira_REST that implements this. I will research this and get back to you once I have more information, if that’s okay.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Below is the configuration. The fields are shown but the drop down can’t be selected.

; Please configure your Jira connection below.
; Note: requires Jira 5 or later. You can use the
; standard ‘Jira’ defect plugin for older versions.
[connection]
address=http://jira.whalesharkmedia.com/
user=%jira_user%
password=%jira_password%

[push.fields]
project=on
issuetype=on
priority=on
summary=on
description=on
labels=on
fix_version=on
assignee=on
customfield_10301=on
customfield_10300=on
customfield_10302=on
component=off
affects_version=off
estimate=off
environment=off

[push.field.fix_version]
label=FixVersion
size=compact
required=true
type=dropdown

[push.field.assignee]
label=Assignee
size=compact
required=true

[push.field.customfield_10301]
label=ProductOwner
size=full
required=false
type=dropdown

[push.field.customfield_10300]
label=EngOwner
size=full
required=false
type=dropdown

[push.field.customfield_10302]
label=QAOwner
size=full
required=false
type=dropdown

Hello Kevin,

Custom fields in Jira always depend on the selected project and issue type, so you would need to select a project and issue type in the Push dialog first before you can select a value for the custom field. After selecting a project and issue type, the custom field should become enabled and you should be able to select a value. Have you tried this? I will make sure to verify this here again with a user-based custom field.

Regards,
Tobias

Sorry, I should have stated that once you select the Project and Issue Type, the custom fields that are user fields can be selected but the data is empty.

Okay, thanks Kevin. We will look into this and get back to you then.

Regards,
Tobias

Hello Kevin,

It is possible to hide archived versions and we may add this as an option to the fixVersion/affectsVersion fields in a future version of the plugin. If this is critical for you, we can also change the plugin for your TestRail Hosted instance in the meantime (so that archived versions wouldn’t be displayed). Please let me know how you would like to proceed with this.

I will get back regarding the other issue later, hopefully also today.

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias. Hiding the archived versions isn’t critical yet but we do have 52 archived versions showing. It is easy for us to find the current one because they are in order. If you think it is going to take more than a couple of months to do, then I would like for you guys to change the plugin on our instance.

Let me know if you need more info or if you want to do a screen share to see the issue with the custom user fields.

Thanks!

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the update. I’ve just learned that we haven’t yet had support for user-based custom fields. We have added this now and also updated your TestRail Hosted instance with the new Jira plugin. It would be great if you could try this out.

We’ve also added support for filtering versions (e.g. ignoring archived versions). This can be configured as follows:

[push.field.fix_version] type=multiselect show_archived=false

Note that this example also changes the default type from dropdown to multiselect which may be useful as well. Other filtering options are:

show_released=false show_overdue=false

As mentioned, it would be great if you could try out these changes.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,
This worked great! Thank for you adding this so quickly and also adding show_released.

Thanks,
Kevin

What is the time line to release a new version of TestRail with this JIRA plugin fix (assignee issue)? I understand the hosted version of TestRail is okay now.

Thanks

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your question. This will be part of the next TestRail update but I will send you an updated version of the defect plugin later today.

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Michael,

Thanks for your question. This will be part of the next TestRail update but I will send you an updated version of the defect plugin later today.

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Hi Tobias,

Would it be possible for you to send this update through to me also?
We have just hit this problem also :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Col

Hello Col,

Sure, I’ve just sent you the plugin via email. Please let me know in case you have any questions.

Regards,
Tobias