Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

JIRA password not being saved in TestRail

I must be overlooking something obvious. Our JIRA integration with TestRail has been working great for several months but this week we had to change our JIRA passwords. When updating our JIRA passwords in TestRail (My Settings / Settings / JIRA Password), the new password is not being saved. I’m entering the new password, clicking SAVE SETTINGS, and TestRail reports “Successfully saved your settings”. Yet when I go back into My Settings / Settings / JIRA Password, I can tell the original password is still there (shorter number of characters) and TestRail will not show me any linked JIRA defects (Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 403)).

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Kris

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your posting. I believe the 403 is returned by JIRA’s API for permission issues and this is not necessarily authentication related. Can you change the password to something incorrect to see if you get a 401 instead? If so, the previous username + password should work fine and it could be that your JIRA user doesn’t have the required permissions to access the JIRA project.

Regarding the password: TestRail would always show the same number of characters in the password field and this is independent of the actual password (it’s just a placeholder to detect password changes and the actual password is not exposed to the form).

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanx for getting back to me. It’s working now, and I didn’t change anything on my side. Although I didn’t have any problems logging directly into JIRA when I reported my issue with TestRail, I later found that some of my co-workers did this week and they’re now logging ok directly into JIRA again without changing anything on their sides as well. Perhaps the issues were related, and most likely on our corporate JIRA instance.

Have a great weekend,
Kris

Hi Kris,

Great to hear that it works now and thanks for the update!

Cheers,
Tobias

As a note since the cause was not clear here I have seen this kind of issue before where on the day the JIRA password is updating where TestRail does not play nice with our server instance of JIRA. It always seems to clear itself out within a few hours but I think there might be something where the passwords take some time to clear through the system.

Hi John,

Thanks! TestRail would always use the password as configured under My Settings/Administration > Integration but it could be that updating a password in JIRA is not immediate and takes a while to propagate on JIRA’s side.

Cheers,
Tobias