Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

JIRA integration requires JIRA username, which cannot be an email address

My JIRA username is my email address, according to my JIRA profile. Now what do I do since TR won’t let me use that as my JIRA username, it always comes back with an error. See attached screen shots.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your posting. Which TR version do you use? There was a check in one TR version that didn’t allow email address for the integration because JIRA’s API doesn’t accept the email address and just the username. We also noticed (quickly :slight_smile: ) that JIRA allows email addresses as username and removed this check again. Can you check the TR version you use (under Administration > Overview)?

Cheers,
Tobias

About TestRail
TestRail version 5.2.1.3472 (check for update)
Built on 5/13/2016
Database version 176

Thanks Tobias

Hi Scott,

Could it be that you are using a customized version of the defect plugin? Are you on TestRail Server or TestRail Cloud (testrail.net/com)? I just checked this again and the email check is no longer in the current version of the JIRA defect plugin.

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias - we’re using TestRail cloud which I assume will always be the latest version of everything.

Thanks,
Scott Dinn

Ah sorry, Scott. The “Configure JIRA Integration” dialog still has this check but you can simply enter “scott” as the username and then change the added %jira_user defect variable after clicking the “Enable JIRA Integration” button.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,

We are currently evaluating TestRail and noticed that this is still a problem.

I.e. you give an error when trying to configure the Jira integration with an email address. From an evaluation point of view, I am curious how this can still be a problem 2 years later?

Also, how do we configure the integration when all of our users are using their company Google G Suite accounts?

They do not have any Jira password…

Best,
Morten

Hi @morten795 - thanks for reaching out.

We have made some modifications to the Jira Integration forms which will be released soon. In the meantime, the workaround that Tobias mentioned immediately prior to your post can still be implemented and will enable your Jira integration to work as desired.

For users with Google G Suite accounts, they just need to use the Google email addresses they login to Jira with on the User Settings page in their Testrail accounts, along with whichever password is used to login to Jira also.

Hopefully that helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here or contact our support team directly via contact@gurock.com.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I understand that the workaround mentioned by Tobias works, I am just curious from a product evaluation point of view, why I was required to search out this workaround in your community forum for a problem that was reported 2 years ago.

We initially searched your documentation for help, but it also explicitly states that a Jira username should be used and not an email address:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira-cloud

With regards to the second question surrounding Google G Suite accounts, then they do not have any Jira password, since they authenticate using their Google G Suite account.

We found that our users can instead generate a Jira API token and use that for their password and their G Suite email as the username. A Jira user can generate an API token here:

https://id.atlassian.com/manage/api-tokens

It might be a good idea to at least update your documentation with this information to make it easier for any future potential customers to get the integration working in this scenario.

Best regards,
Morten