Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Jira integration & Okta SSO

Hi,

I would like to integrate our Jira installation into TestRail.
We use a self-hosted Jira Server (7.3.3) with Okta as SSO. Okta is used for Jira and other apps but not for TestRail.

I followed the integration wizard and I entered my SSO credentials as user variables but I always get the following error when pushing a new bug or trying to display the popup over a bug reference:

Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Failed to connect to port 443: Timed out

Is Jira login via Okta something you support?

Thanks

Hi,
I’ve got the same (or near) problem. We also use OKTA to login into Jira and the push defect display this error :

Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 401). Please make sure to use your actual JIRA username for the integration (not your email address, for example).

Thanks for your help

Hi all,

Thanks for your post! TestRail would need to connect to the JIRA API, and generally most SSO solutions wouldn’t allow authenticating to the JIRA API using the SSO service. JIRA would still retain its own separate user base and credentials, and would only support using these credentials to access the JIRA API. You can check which username you should use for the JIRA API, and reset the password if needed within JIRA profile (just click your avatar at the top right then Profile, and you will see your JIRA username on this page with the option to set a password here in case you don’t have one already). These credentials should allow you to connect via the JIRA API, and you would use these for TestRail’s JIRA integration. If you’re still unsure or if this doesn’t allow you to connect, feel free to also reach out to us directly via email at contact@gurock.com, and we’d be happy to troubleshoot with more specific recommendations for each environment.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Thanks!

Unfortunately when SSO login is set up for JIRA, the “Change password” option is not available in the Profile. I’m going to find out how to retrieve JIRA API credentials when SSO is active, and then I’ll do the TestRail integration again.

Regards,
Denis

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the update, sounds good! Just let us know in case you continue to run into issues with this, and we’re happy to help troubleshoot!

Regards,
Marco

I have hit the same exact issue.

True SSO integration into JIRA does not maintain a user password outside of that system (nor does it allow the user or the admin for that matter, to change a user’s password). As such, the only workaround I’ve found thus far is to create a user that exists outside of the SSO solution. This presents a number of issues:

1. Any user configured this way is bypassing any security put in place by the SSO solution.
  2. It requires every single user that needs to file bugs (using the JIRA plugin) to have one of these system-circumventing configurations to accurately show who is logging a bug (upon test failure). A single shared account would show that all filed issues were reported by that single user.

As for retrieving the the API credentials, from what I can tell, it’s a temporary token that’s issued (for that session). Timeouts for this token vary, likely from instance to instance depending on the configuration, but everything I’ve tried has not allowed a means of statically setting a value that’s retained and able to be used consistently.

@dgrange-gp - I too am still seeking a legitimate configuration that will allow us to properly integrate TestRail and JIRA (With OKTA SSO). Should I find anything prior to your doing so, I’ll be sure to post to this thread.

Any updates on SSO login solution?

Any updates to JIRA SSO integration and a timeline?

BUMPING this thread back to life. Any updates on this?