Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

JIRA integration not working

I have a user that changed their TestRail password and now their JIRA integration is not working. When hovering the mouse over a ticket number on the TestRail the ticket details are not displaying…before the user changed their TestRail password the JIRA integration was working properly.

Here is the error:
Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 401). Please check the Jira User value in the Integration and/or User Settings has been configured correctly.

Also, seeing this with a new user that has been added. When they save the JIRA settings within TestRail they are not being saved properly. (Using Chrome)

I have the exact same setup and mine works…but I have had this configuration for a while now and have not changed since the last update to TestRail Cloud.

Any ideas?

Hi mbowman,

The TestRail and Jira user accounts are not linked. Changing the password for TestRail does not affect the Jira integration. That said, it’s possible your user may have changed the Jira password by mistake under My Settings >> Settings.

New users will also need to assign their Jira logins under this same area as well before their TestRail accounts can push defects or view Jira references.

Hi @vtran, thanks for the response. I understand that the accounts are not linked but it seems that before the user changed their TestRail password the JIRA integration was working properly.

TestRail cloud version: 5.6.0.3865

Regardless of what caused the issue, I would suggest updating the password under My Settings >> Settings for that user just in case. Test that their login still works when access Jira directly, then have them enter the same login again inside TestRail.

As for your new user, what exactly did they mean by “JIRA settings within TestRail they are not being saved properly”. What is the behavior and are there any error messages?

We’ve had our integration in place for almost 3 years, and for the first time, I’m having a similar issue where I’m getting the following message for JIRA items linked to test cases:

"Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 401). Please check the Jira User value in the Integration and/or User Settings has been configured correctly."

I verified that my user name and password used in TestRail to integrate with JIRA is still the same and it is.

What is interesting though is that I was going to re-enter the information in Configure JIRA Integration, and saw that there was nothing in there.

I proceeded to enter the information that was previous in their, as shown below and clicked the Enable JIRA Integration button as well as saving the settings on the Integration page

I then went back into the Configure JIRA Integration section, and the settings reverted back to null

Not sure if a recent update to JIRA in the Cloud caused this. Our version of TestRail is:

TestRail version: 5.6.0.3865

Hello all,

In the Jira configuration settings please ensure you are using an email address instead of a user name. Jira is working to phase out the use of user names, instead using email address for authentication. If you’re using a single sign on tool to authenticate in Jira you may also need to set up an API token to use in place of the password in the TestRail integration configuration settings.

The “Configure JIRA Integration” button you mentioned opens a set up wizard that doesn’t populate the existing settings, as it’s mostly meant for the initial set up.

If you’re still having any further issues please reach out to our support team at contact@gurock.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks for the reply. I will contact the email provided as it is still not working for a couple of users.