Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

JIRA - Custom fields with parent child relationship

Trying to configure Test Rail to work with 2 jira custom fields that depend on eachother

JIRA Setup:
customfield_0001 - dropdown list
customfield_0002 - dropdown list

based on my chose for customfield_0001 it will bring back a subset of values available for customfield_0002
customfield_0001 - fruits, veggies
customfield_0002 - apple, banana, kale

Test Rail:
added the following the the JIRA integration (admin)

[push.field.customfield_0001]
label=type
size=compact
type=dropdown
remember=true
required=true

[push.field.customfield_0002]
label=choice
size=compact
type=dropdown
remember=true
required=true

With the above set, when i select customfield_0001 on the push defects screen, all results are returned for customfield_0002, regardless of what i select for customfield_0001

Select veggies and all is returned (apple, banana, kale)
Excepting/wanting just Kale

I currently have JIRA setup this way

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your posting! Can you provide a few more details on the setup in JIRA? Is this for a single cascading dropdown field or with two separate custom fields? The first case is already supported on TestRail’s side and TestRail would implement this with a single dropdown as follows:

fruits > apple
fruits > banana
veggies > kale

Cheers,
Tobias

it would be the second case; two separate custom fields

if i choice Fruit from one custom field only apple & banana would be available in the 2nd.
Currently TestRail returns all 3 values regardless what is selected in the 1st.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reply! This use case is currently not supported in the same way as the cascading dropdown. Is using the two independent dropdowns a possible workaround for you?

Cheers,
Tobias