Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Issues/Errors with Exporting a Run

When I try to export a given Test Run, I am getting all section headers for my entire repository.

Only CASES for my Test Run are exported, but the exported file is full of garbage section names/descriptions unrelated to what I exported.

When will this be fixed? There is no way this is intended behavior.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your posting. Which export did you use? The CSV export for example would export a list of cases (one per row) and all attributes you selected on the CSV Export dialog:

Cheers,
Tobias

I used the Export Run --> Export to XML feature.

Thanks, Kevin. The XML exports follows the XML format as described here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-import

This explains the layout for the case repository/suites but it’s very similar for the runs. XML is a very structured format and the exports include everything that is part/was recorded as part of a test run (section, tests/cases, results, etc.) so there’s more in the XML files than just the cases/tests. It resembles the tree-like structure with sections (+sub-sections) and tests and each test includes the results, comments, assignments, etc.

A simpler format would be the CSV export which would export just the tests (or results), with one test/result per line.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Cheers,
Tobias

My concern is not with the XML structure, its with the contents of the XML itself.

I’m exporting the test RUN and the export is including section information for the entire REPOSITORY.

Only the CASES from my RUN are present, but there is a tonne of useless/unnecessary information being included that is in no way relevant to my RUN.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply! The XML export would only export the cases that are actually part of your test run. It might include other sections but you can ignore those (empty) sections and the cases in the export would all be part of the test run.

Cheers,
Tobias