Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Is there an XML Schema for TestRail XML import/export?

I am trying to map our existing test plan document, currently in OpenDocument XML format, to TestRail XML format in order to quickly and easily import all our test suites, sections, and test cases, and maybe steps as well. To do so, I’m trying to avoid writing any XSLT code so I’m using a visual XML data mapper which requires the XML Schema (.xsd file) for the target TestRail XML document. Thus, my questions are:

Is there an XML Schema (.xsd) for TestRail XML import/export?

If so, how can I get access to it?

Thank you for your help!

Hello Philippe,

Thanks for your posting. We don’t currently have an XML Schema file for TestRail’s import/export file format. One of the reasons for this is that every TestRail installation can have a slightly different schema, as you can define custom fields and those fields would also have to be part of the schema. We will consider offering automatically generating an .xsd file based on your custom field definition in the future. That said, many XML tools alternatively allow you to load a sample XML file instead of a schema file. Is your tool offering this option?

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Indeed, I understand your point about custom fields. My tool (Liquid XML Studio) allows me to infer an XML Schema from an XML sample document. I will try that.
Thank you.
Philippe

Hello Philippe,

Thanks for the update, sounds good. Just let me know in case any additional questions come up.

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=Philippe Couvignou]Hi Dennis,
Indeed, I understand your point about custom fields. My tool (Liquid XML Studio) allows me to infer an XML Schema from an XML sample document. I will try that.
Thank you.
Philippe[/quote]

I also use Liquid Studio, not sure if you know but the latest version also has an xml data mapper function as well.

http://www.liquid-technologies.com/XmlDataMapper.aspx