Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Is there a way to display test-suite/section in search results?

when searching a project it would be great if testrail would divide the results by the test case suite and/or section names. Our testcases do not have this redundant information in the case-title and it makes searching difficult without this contextual and semantic information.

thanks!

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your posting. It’s already planned to add this as part of a larger search update and we would like to look into this for a future version. Thanks for your feedback on this!

Regards,
Tobias

I agree that this would be a very good feature enhancement. It is difficult to get value out of the search results when you are looking at several hundreds result rows but the suite/section/sub-section context is not clear. Any thoughts on when this may be included in a release?

Hello Joanna,

Thanks for your feedback on this! We currently don’t have a time frame for this unfortunately but we will make sure to look into this again for a future version.

Regards,
Tobias

Any sign of this feature? With multiple baselines, it is hard to tell what suite a case is in, and we would only want to edit the one in master.

Thanks!
Bill

Hi Bill,

We don’t have an update regarding this feature at this point but it’s still planned to look into this. I’m happy to add another vote, thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

We have a Project with multiple Test Suites in it. Each Test Suite is maintained by a different person and has multiple Test Runs within it, so when we go to the Test Runs & Results tab it is already a lengthy list. Ideally we would like to be able to filter by Test Suite so each person only sees the runs that are relevant to them. Failing that, it would be useful to be able to order or group by Test Suite.

I’m adding this query to this thread as I think this is what I’m getting at. Any update on when this functionality might be added? Or if I’ve totally misunderstood the intention of this thread, then is there a way I can achieve what I suggested above?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your feedback. This thread is about something else (the search) but the functionality you are looking for already exists. You can find the list of runs for one particular test suite on the Test Runs tab (sidebar) when viewing a test suite. This shows only the test runs for this particular test suite.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias. TestRail is new to our team and I think this may be down to how we’re using Milestones and Sub-milestones as that’s not what we’re seeing at the moment. But I’ll have a look and see if we’re able to reorganise this without disrupting the ongoing projects.

And sorry for hijacking this thread! If I have any further questions about this I’ll start a new one.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, please let me know in case any further questions come up, happy to help.

Cheers,
Tobias

Please add my vote to this. The search only returns a test case label, ID and title.

Ideally I would like to see either:
A) A filter button where I can select test suites (and other options)
B) A columns button where I can select test suites (and other options)

Is there an ETA for the feature? Even something broad like ‘this year’ or ‘q1 2018’ would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback! We still have plans to look into improving the search functionality as a whole, including addressing the points that have been mentioned here. We don’t currently have a timeframe/ETA that we can provide for this just yet, and in general we don’t publish our roadmaps as we prefer not to overpromise and underdeliver. I’ve added your vote and feedback to this request, and we’re happy to review this for a future update. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco