Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Is it possible to use testrail variables as default values for custom fields

Hi all,

As it is said from the topic I just wanna know if it is possible to put testrail variable as a default value for custom field. Unfortunately I couldn’t find names of testrail variables.

I need to duplicate username to a custom column. Is it possible through customization menu to put something like %user% as a default value for that text field?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your posting. For user fields, we would recommend using a custom field of type User instead of String and this lets you select a user based on your current list of users. Using variables as part of the custom field default value is currently not possible. We are happy to look into this for a future version and thanks for the idea :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you, Tobias! :relaxed:

One question more - is it possible to change author of the test case somehow (which is in “created by” system field)?
If not - can I change my account details (name and email) to change the author of those test cases and then create one account more for me? Or is it contradicting with license terms? :sweat:

Regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Sure, happy to help :slight_smile:

The Created By system field is automatically based on the user who’s logged in and adds the case. You would need a license for every person who uses TestRail (activated user account) and you can simply add additional users under Administration > Users & Roles. You can freely deactivate user accounts as needed and this is only activated user accounts (maximum number of activated user accounts per month on TestRail Cloud).

Cheers,
Tobias

Ok, I see. Thank you so much. :slight_smile:

I just wanna know if renaming username is forbidden by license terms?

I’ve done a lot of work creating test cases, but unfortunately it was found out that they must be written from the name of our pm. So can we just rename my profile’s username into pm’s one (just for displaying author of those test cases) and then create one more for me? Or is it forbidden and he should do the same work from his account?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ivan :slight_smile:

No that’s totally fine and you can rename an existing user account. It’s just important to use a dedicated user account per person using TestRail but renaming an account and then adding a new account for you is fine.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias!

That’s exactly what I’ve wanted to hear. :relaxed:

You are welcome, Ivan :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias