Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

IS it possible to have AssignedTo field display at Test Run level on Test Plan summary page

I have created several test runs and assigned them to the appropriate owner. When I go into the Test Plan view I see the Test Runs listed down the left side of the page. If I click on the Test Run I see the defined test cases and in this view I can see the Assigned owner for each test case. I would like to see the owner at the Test Run level. According to the object model this assignment has been made but the UI does not seem to show this information. I have looked at the customization section but I don’t see a simple way to make this data appear. IS this possible to do? Basically I want individuals to see what tests they own at the run level.

Assign test plan to a user

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your posting! Users can easily see their todos (assigned tests) on the Todo tab of a project and this is the designated location to view the current tasks of a user. Users can also change the grouping of this page to test plans and the assignments/todos of the runs are then grouped by test plans. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

I don’t seem to be able to get the ToDo page to work the way I would expect it to. When I look in the Edit Test Plan view I have 11 Test Runs created, as expected, and each one shown as being assigned to the expected individuals. When I look at the individual Test Run views I see that every test is assigned to the expected individual. When I go to the “To Do” page, I only see 9 Test Runs showing and they are all listed as unassigned. This sort of makes sense since the User checkboxes have only two of the three users selected. However, I don’t seem to be able to change that selection. I can click on the remaining user and it will show clicked but there is no change in the displayed data (Still only 9 test runs). If I hit the page refresh it resets the checkboxes.

I generated these entries via automation so it is possible I did not set something up correctly but everything seems to be showing as expected in the Test Plan and Test Run views.

If I could get this to work this would probably be OK for me.

Hello Bruce,

When changing the user selection or statuses, you would also need to click the Apply Filter button. This would regenerate the statistics and list of test runs.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

OK, can I filter out a Test Plan from the To Do view? I am using Test Plans for each unique run against a release. We had a release that we tested and generated some failures and blocked test cases. We now have a new release and I have generated a new Test Plan. When I send people to the To Do screen to see their assignments, the old test plan still shows up. I don’t want to delete it because I want the results history. I can’t filter it out by status because I want to see failed test cases and blocked test cases from the current test plan.

Thanks

Hello Bruce,

Yes, this is possible! The Todo page would only show active test runs/plans and archived/closed runs/plans are not considered to-dos and would not appear on the Todo page. So, you can simply close finished test runs/plans via the little lock icon on the plan/run pages. This will archive a test run/plan and would prevent future modifications (such as adding new test results, e.g.) so this is only meant for finished test runs/plans (and exactly for the use case you mentioned: keeping old test results and the test history).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Is it possible to write a UI script to show Assigned To at the test plan summary level? It would be great to have.

Pratik

Hi Pratik,

Thanks for your posting. TestRail doesn’t have an Assigned To property on the test plan level and you would manage the assignee per test run/configuration in test plans.

Cheers,
Tobias