Subscribe Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

Is it possible to create test case in testRail from JIRA?

Hey Team, we have Jira dashboard where we create ticket for running Test case with all the details, QA use that information to create Test case in TestRail. is it possible to automation to create test cases in TestRail based on Jira ticket?

Hi,
I’m not part of the team, but we had the same idea in the past.
As far as I know, there is no automatism for it.
The current TestRail plugin for Jira allows to create a Test Case from an issue in Jira manually only. The link from TestRail to Jira is added automatically in TestRail.

Option 1:
You can create a post function or similar to do so in Jira. But this is probably a bigger task. Which project, suite (and section), which data should be passed or which user is used to create the case? Probably a bigger Plugin with configs and a few dialogs.
The use the API to create an link the case with the given issue.

Option 2:
Create a batch scanning your JIRA project for new issues of this specific task and create cases like you want via the API. Again the problem with the TestRail project, suite and section.

Just some ideas…

Karsten

Hi Karsten,

Thank you for suggestion. Is it possible to create an custom API in java spring boot that would call by JIRA Webhook whenever new issue ticket created with specific title and project and new custom API caj parse the detail and can call the testrail API to create test case automatically?

Just an idea in my head.

What’s your view on this?

Regards,

Dhaumik Patel.

Well, I never used Webhooks myself, but just took a look and they are used for post funtions, so this should work. :+1:

If you use Spring Boot is up to you, but why not. :grinning:

Then it is just a question of using the TestRail API, this is also working…

Don’t underestimate the question where to place the case, but this depends on the complexity of your TestRail usage and your workflow. By having multiple JIRA projects and multiple TestRail projects with a lot of suites and sections, it is getting interesting.

Finally: Have you already started? :innocent:

Regards
Karsten

Hi Karsten,

I haven’t started yet but trying to prepare POC. I saw tester took lot of time to create one test from JIRA to testrail. So any suggestion on that? They do lots of copy and paste takes lot of time.

Regards,

Dhaumik Patel.

Hi,
just kiddin…

The Spring-Boot App should be able to handle this.

Even if only the IssueId is passed via WebHook, you can retrieve any data later via Jira-Rest-API (there is also a Java client for it) and add this to the test case. This is just a matter of mapping fields between your Jira issue and the case in TestRail. [If there is no timing issue because the issue is within creation, not sure - sorry]
Only attachements might be an issue / problem, because there is no endpoint to add an attachement to cases - Gurock just created one for the result.

Finally: Would be a good time saver for your team. :+1:

regards
Karsten

Hi Karsten,

Thank you very much for responding. I will definitely try to crack this then. At least having something automated better than having nothing.

Thank you again

Regards,

Dhaumik Patel.