Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Installation problems with database

I got this message after successfully completing the installation wizard

An error occurred (Creating Database Schema): The following database query failed with the error “You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘fields’ at line 1”: DROP TABLE IF EXISTS fields;

I checked the database and it showed that 6 tables had been created.

can you help me out a bit?

Hello,

We haven’t seen this error before, thanks for reporting this. Which MySQL version do you use?

TestRail uses about 30 tables. The error message means that the setup couldn’t create the ‘fields’ table in the database and then stopped.

Regards,
Tobias

To be precise

Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.22, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 4.3

Okay, thank you. Unfortunately, TestRail does not support MySQL 4 installations and has not been tested with MySQL 4. I’ve just checked the MySQL manual and it seems that the error is caused by the ‘fields’ table because ‘fields’ is a reserved word in MySQL 4.

You could fix this particular issue by changing the TestRail SQL script of the installer. However, we can’t guarantee that TestRail works with MySQL 4 (TestRail may use some database features that were introduced in MySQL 5) and therefore advise against it. Do you have the option to use TestRail with a MySQL 5 server?

We can also set up a hosted trial on our servers for you to try out TestRail if you prefer this.

Regards,
Tobias

I will try, I am on a shared hosted site, I can ask, but I suspect the answer will be no.

I can also provide you with a hosted trial. This way you can try out TestRail without installing or configuring anything. Just let me know if you would prefer this and I’ll set up an account. Thank you.

Regards,
Tobias