Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Importing Test Steps

Hi,

My company are moving over to testrail and I’m just starting to look at the solution.

I’m trying to import some of our existing test cases into testrail.

Creating new tests directly in test rail I laid them out like this, so that we can pass/fail each step of a test.

To work out what I need to do to import, I ran an export of a test. The CSV I got looks like this

improt2

Hi @greyfish,

Thank for the post. Currently the export system doesn’t support the exporting of individual steps in the way that TestRail would expect on import. In order to import test cases with separate steps, the CSV will need to have the separate steps and related expected results on their own rows beneath the parent entry details. This screenshot details the proper formatting:

When importing, there will be a few things you’ll need to check. First, make sure you’re choosing the correct template, Test Case (Steps) by default, that will support the separate steps. Also, on the second page of the settings, make sure you select the “Test Cases use multiple rows” option, then choose something that is unique to each test case (I use title) to be used to detect new cases.

Hope that clarifies things! For additional information about the importing process, you can check out the guide here: http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-import-csv