Subscribe Join 180,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

Importing test cases from TestPad

Hi all,

I’m trying to import our testcases from Testpad and due to the structure of their CSV export am struggling a little, has anyone successfully managed to do this?

If so any tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forums… I think to get the most help you would need to post some more details of what you are struggling with. The biggest pain is determining what the fields in TestPad map to the fields in Test Rail. That may take some playing to determine how the fields map.

thank you, unfortunately Testpad is rather lightweight so doesn’t really have the same concepts.

Each area in Testpad is exported as a single file with multiple scenarios in it, which technically is fine, however the file is simply a list with no way to differentiate the structure properly, for example this is a snippet from a file :

number,indent,text,tags,notes,result,issue,comment
1,1,Feature: Assure End To End Process,,,,,
2,2,--As a compliance assessor,,,,,
3,2,--I want the case level risk indicator to be a weighted average of selected parent risk points,,,,,
4,2,--So that I can identify cases that are high risk based on all the conversations that have happened in the case,,,,,
6,1,"Scenario: CAT2-695 - CLA status return to ""PENDING_NEW"" when a new recording is uploaded",,,,,
7,2,Given a Case already created with one or more records,,,pass,,
8,2,"And CLA and RLA status are ""FINISHED""",,,pass,,
9,2,When I upload a new record into the same Case (same Mortgage Ref. + Mortg. Conv. Type),,,pass,,
10,2,"Then (RLA) triageAndAssureClassifyWorkflowState: ""STARTED""",,,pass,,
11,2,"And (CLA) caseAssureClassifyWorkflowState goes to ""PENDING_NEW"" only AFTER the RLA is ""FINISHED""",,,pass,,
12,2,"--Note: Worth noticing though, that the amount of time the case is in the “PENDING_NEW” state might be very short (like few seconds).",,,,,
14,1,Scenario: Selecting Green Case Risk Score from the dashboard displays a filtered list of cases with a green case level risk indicator,,,,,
15,2,When I select the green pie section from the Case Level Risk score dashboard chart,,,pass,,
16,2,Then I am presented with a filtered list of cases with a green case level risk score,,,pass,,
18,1,Scenario: Selecting Amber Case Risk Score from the dashboard displays a filtered list of cases with an amber case level risk indicator,,,,,
19,2,When I select the amber pie section from the Case Level Risk score dashboard chart,,,pass,,
20,2,Then I am presented with a filtered list of cases with a amber case level risk score,,,pass,,
22,1,Scenario: Selecting Red Case Risk Score from the dashboard displays a filtered list of cases with a red case level risk indicator,,,,,
23,2,When I select the red pie section from the Case Level Risk score dashboard chart,,,pass,,
24,2,Then I am presented with a filtered list of cases with a red case level risk score,,,pass,,

what I need to be able to do is convert each Scenario into it’s own test case, but am struggling how that can work from the importer given the structure of the Testpad file.

Hi,

The easiest and best method to import test cases into TestRail would be to use the CSV import wizard. The CSV import wizard is very flexible and intuitive, allowing you to map your CSV columns / fields to TestRail’s fields easily during the import. There isn’t a specific column template / format required for the import wizard, so you would just export from TestPad into CSV format, and you can then import them into TestRail from there.

You can learn more about the import process on our website here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-import-csv

Thanks,
Shanu