Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Importing formatted XML into Test Rail

Does Test Rail support XML formatting such as bold and bullet lists when importing an XML file into Test Rail?

Hi David,

Thanks for your email. Yes, you can use the same formatting options in the XML import file as in the UI. TestRail uses Markdown for rich-text formatting and you can find the full list of supported options here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-editor

For example, to mark a word as bold you would use **bold word**. For lists you would use one line per list item with a dash at the beginning of the line. These formatting options are supported for all system and custom fields of type Text (or Steps) with the rich-text option set to Markdown (which is the default).

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t sure if the import would do the conversion for me. It looks like I have to change the formatting ahead of time to use the Markdown format before importing.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. You can simply import your cases with the rich-text formatting options (in raw format, e.g. **bold word** for a bold word) and TestRail would automatically render this as bold/italic/lists/tables etc. when you view your cases.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias