Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Importing edited TestSuite doesn't work as expected

Hi,

I need a quick answer here. I exported my test suites from my online account to test locally on the server installation before it expires since they have not gotten this feature in over a year into the tool (bulk edit test cases). I edited Type to change from Functionality to Regression and saved the file. I then imported it into a new test plan inside a new project. Import went fine, BUT every test case Type defaulted to Functionality, not Regression as it should have.

1. These were Added to the Test Suite I created
  2. These will not import as an Update whatsoever because it says there is no ID # xyz (because they are exported I was not about to go change every ID in there to match existing ones).

This Add feature should do just that, ADD them in. I was not happy finding this simple thing is not working. It should add the cases into the new suite and update the ID to be whatever the next one would be as if creating by hand…What did I miss here?

As far as I have been able to find in regards to this is to export/import to whatever format of the 3 you want and change the Type, save file and import and all should be well. It isn’t…

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your posting. The general idea with this workaround would be to create an export, change the properties you want to modify (e.g. changing the Type to Regression) and then import the XML file with the “Update” option checked again. You don’t need to change or manually add/modify the IDs. We are happy to look into this if you could send the XML file to our help desk via email at contact@gurock.com.

The next version of TestRail (4.0, available this month) will also finally add the bulk-edit feature and it will be much easier to change the properties of multiple test cases starting with this version.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I did try the Update option and yes I’ve watched the short videos for most of the product (areas where I’ll be mostly working in). It wouldn’t allow the Update possibly because a) it didn’t exist so it wouldn’t know the ID # and b) if Suite was empty and I did Add it should add the file in with the changes that were made to it when the Suite was empty and take what is in there at face value (with any kind of error checking for Type values, etc…including any customization. So I will be sending the file off with steps I did to see this issue.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I’ve seen that you’ve got it working in the other thread in the meantime, is this correct? The next version will make this all a lot easier since it will introduce a nice way (two actually) to bulk-edit test cases right in the UI.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

In regards to importing an XML file. What I was doing before and seeing were the following:

1. Export out a test suite with all cases from one Project
  2. Edit type to change Functionality to Regression
  3. Import that into a test suite (empty) called Regression inside a project.

What I was seeing was the Type not staying as Regression but defaulting to Functionality when adding to a new Test Suite (empty). I am going to toy with this some more on our lab setup. Will report back in this thread momentarily.

Ok, Project->Regression->TestSuite and Cases->Android Regression->test cases show Regression. So that appears to be working (not sure what I was doing before to have them show as Functionality when file clearly showed Regression.

I am hoping the bulk editing feature coming in the new few weeks works well :wink:

Mike

Hello Mike,

Good to hear that it works now and thanks for the update. Yes, the new bulk-edit feature will make this a lot easier. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Tobias