Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Import testresults as xml

Hi,

Is it possible to import testresults as xml? As far as I can see the documentation describes how to import testcases as xml and then adding/updating testresults by the API.
Is it not possible to import both testcases and testresults as xml?

best regards
Jørgen

Hello Jørgen,

Thanks for your posting. Test results can only be added manually via the UI or automated via the API. There’s currently no support for uploading results via XML. That said, if you could let me know what you are trying to accomplish, I’m happy to suggest the best ways to implement this with TestRail.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

We want to uppload testcases and results from another appliation. This application will periodically evaluate rules and produce results from the rules, if new rules are created they should be added as new testcases and if the result is updated for an existing test, we want to update the corresponding testresult in testrail.
At the moment we are able to upload all initial testcases from our application to testrail by using the xml import. I suppose we should be using the API to add new testcases and update testresults. Our application is developed .net/C# and I am able to set up the webrequest and post eg. get_case successfully, however, the response does not make much sense at the moment as it only contains numbers, whereas I was excpecting a HTTP text as shown in your documentation. This could be a problem on my side, have you ever come across this before?

Best regards
Jorgen

Hi,

We fixed the problem (i) we did something wrong with the http string and (ii) we had to remove letters from case id’s ie 540 and not C540,

thanks,
Jorgen

Hello Jørgen,

Thanks for your posting. So, is everything working now? Just let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias