Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

ID numbers (?) in Test Cases - and how to change/delete them

Hi,

I just opened a trail account for Test Rail today. Starting up QA here and have tons of stuff to sift through but this was the first question to jump out at me. (and there will be more!)

• When the User creates a test case/ test suite in Test Rail
  • Navigates to either the 'Test Run & Results" tab or the “Test Suites & Cases” topic (then accesses the Test Case via the hyperlink)
  • Views the test case(s)

There seems to be an ID number of some sort right between the checkbox and the test case name (on one screen it’s ‘T9’ and on the other it’s ‘C9’) - these seem to be hyperlinks that redirect the User to the actual test case.

Is there a way to either delete or change these? I have tons of test cases that have their own ID (example: My test case ID’s look like this: GR-10, GR-11, GR-12 etc.) and I’d like to replace the default ID numbers with my own. Can this be done?

• other than that I had the same request for the User to be able to navigate from test cae to test case via a “Next” and “Back” arrow instead of exiting the test cases and then clicking on the next row in the test suite.

Seems promising though!

Hello,

Thanks for your message. All entries / entities in TestRail have unique IDs. So all test cases automatically have a unique ID in the form of C123, all tests use T123, runs use R123 and so on. We have added unique IDs to TestRail to make it easier to communicate with other members of your team.

For example, if you are on the phone with a colleague and want to discuss a specific test case or test result, you can simply refer to the ID and your colleague can enter the ID in the search box to directly jump to the specific page. This makes the built-in IDs quite powerful and useful.

You cannot customize the IDs at the moment, but we generally do not recommend trying to order / assign your own IDs, as it makes it harder to move cases around, add new cases etc. However, you can add your own custom fields to TestRail if needed to manage your own IDs (please see the help topic ‘Configuring custom fields’ for this).

I agree that this would be very useful. We already have particular his feature on our todo list and it is likely that we will have this in one of the next TestRail releases, especially as it’s a popular request.

Thanks!

Regards,
Dennis

I’d like to add my vote for this request. In my case, I have tests to run on multiple images of various types (.bmp, .svg, .pdf, etc.). I would like to be able to (in Perl) assign Case IDs like so:

foreach $image (@images) {

$case_count++;
$case = "C_${imagelib}_" . sprintf("%06d", $case_count);
print(FH "<case>\n");
print(FH "  <id>$case</id>\n");
print(FH "  <title>validate image processing for $path/$image</title>\n");
print(FH "  <type>Functionality</type>\n");
print(FH "  <priority>2</priority>\n");
print(FH "  <estimate></estimate>\n");
print(FH "  <milestone></milestone>\n");
print(FH "  <references></references>\n");
print(FH "</case>\n");

} # close foreach $image

I would have sections for each image type, then cases
bmp:
C_bmp_000001:
C_bmp_000002:

svg:
C_svg_000001:
C_svg_000002:

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. TestRail automatically manages the built-in IDs but you can look into using using a separate custom field for this if you prefer this. You can specify a custom field as follows in the XML file:

<case> <custom> <id>C5000</id> </custom> </case>

This requires a custom field with “id” as system name (e.g. of type String). You can learn more about custom fields here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-fields

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias