Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

I need to know how to remove test cases from ALREADY ran test runs

Being new to test rail and having to jump right into testing I began adding testing cases to my base of test cases and the system automatically adds them to the regression runs that are already complete in the past, and then they show up as untested and my percentage complete on already ran test runs gets lower.

I’ve tried creating new runs with only specific test cases in hopes of being able to save all the new cases, so I can go back and delete them from the old test runs that I did not close. And then I had hoped to close them. I can then close them, but if I delete even one, it deletes them everywhere. Again, even if I select specific cases in a new and untested run, then go delete one from a previous test run that has been tested, the test case gets deleted across the board.

Can I close the test runs and then go into them and delete the untested test cases that again, were never in the run, to begin with? All the documentation indicates that once I close a test run, I can’t modify it. So, I am stuck, I either have to show test runs that were complete and done that I forgot to close, that now show a bulk of untested test NEW test cases, which looks terrible for reporting and other people checking to see how the test runs went, or delete all the test cases added step by step, close the test old test runs, and then re-create all the new test cases, which is very time-consuming.

I just can’t believe there is not a way to delete test cases from one run and not have them delete everywhere. Again, I even changed the selection to only specific test cases, copied in what I needed, deleted one and it deleted everywhere. Just as a test in hopes of saving them someplace literally safe, then deleting them from the old test runs so I can close those. But nope, the same thing happens, I delete one and it deletes it everywhere.

I just need them deleted from old test runs so I can close those runs and be done at 100%, which is now showing 84% because of new test cases being added to the old runs. It’s so frustrating.

All your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey there,

Thanks for the post! With test runs that are still active and open, you can go into the test run, hit edit, then change the selection from “All test cases” to “Select specific test cases.”

Please note, this will reset the selection to 0 cases, so in order to prevent the loss of any results, you will need to make sure all the test cases that should be present in the run are selected prior to making any changes, as removing a test case may result in the loss of the results added. That said, as long as there have been no other changes made to the run, if you notice some tests are missing, you can re-add them with the same process, and the results should be added back in, but better safe than sorry in my opinion.

If the test run has been closed (using the lock icon on the test run page) then no changes can be made to the run after the fact, so you wouldn’t be able to remove any added test cases, and any new cases that are added to the project or suite after the run is closed will not be added in.

Note, we do recommend closing any test runs once they are completed and all tests have results that are final added. That will prevent any new cases from being added to the run, or changes made to included test runs from affecting the tests within the run. This makes sure that for future auditing of your runs you are seeing the tests with their results in the state they were in when they were executed. Also, having a large number of open test runs can cause performance issues, as any action that would affect existing runs or tests within open runs requires a database call for each of those tests, and can slow things down dramatically. A vast majority of reports of slowness or performance issues can be traced back to large numbers of open test runs.

I hope that clarifies things! If you have any further questions feel free to reach out to us directly at contact@gurock.com or reply back here.