Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

I need to find a way to tell if a Test Case has steps

We create a lot of blank test cases since we are creating an all new set of suites for our products. We use the blank tests as placeholders till we get time to fill them in.

We added a check box for the tester to check if it has steps. People don’t remember to do that so I need to find a way to know of steps have been created without using the check box.

So far - I have not been able to tell where TR v3.1.1.3130 stores the steps for a test case.

Is there a way for me to determine this?

Thanks,

Brian

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your posting. If you can use TestRail’s API for this, you can simply use the get_cases API method (for all projects/suites you want to check) and then check if the steps field is set (e.g. custom_steps/custom_steps_separated, depending on the steps configuration you use). I’m happy to provide more details on this if you are interested.

It’s currently not supported to query this via TestRail’s user interface other than checking each test case (or your custom field). You could also look into using the print views of a test suite (Details mode) as a workaround.

Regards,
Tobias

The info was good enough for me to get the data needed via SQL… :slight_smile: We have our won install.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks for the update, Brian, and good to hear that this works for you. :slight_smile: Please note that we only support accessing the database for read-only queries (such as in your case) and write requests are only permitted/supported via the API.

Regards,
Tobias

At some point in time I hope to find time to try and figure out the API in case I can use it elsewhere. I have never used APIs so the learning curve will be pretty steep.

Thanks for the update, Brian, sounds good. We have ready to use bindings for several programming languages to access the API and they abstract away most of the HTTP/API related code:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/start

We are also happy to help in case you would have any questions.

Regards,
Tobias