Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to visualize on screen Custom Fields of type Text (for test results)

Hi

I see from this thread: Custom Test Case Field not showing in Test Run/Suite overview columns that you cannot see on screen custom fields of type Text.

I’ve added a custom field for my test results that stores the stack trace of the error. This is very important but I can’t find any way to retrieve and show this field. How can I accomplish that?

Thanks

Paulo

Hello Paulo,

Thanks for your posting! Custom fields of type text (or steps) cannot be added to the tables because they can contain complex rich-text, images, links, etc. which just aren’t a good fit for the table format. However, the fields are of course displayed when you view a test case or test and the new three-pane view makes it very easy to switch between different cases/tests on the case repository/run pages:

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=4159

Cheers,
Tobias

Hey Tobias

thanks for you answer. My problem right now is the Test Run results really. When I run an automated test, I have a custom field which is a stack trace of the errors. This is plain text, but could be a bit long.

You say I can view them when I view a test case, but not test run result, right? I guess what we are lacking right now is support for attachments in test runs results, which could be used to save the additional data for test results.

Another way is (here is a suggestion, ofc) to show those Text fields as a link in the test results details. If the user wants to see then, they could simply click the link, then the field would be retrieved from the database and saved as a text file.

Thanks!

Paulo

Hello Paulo,

Thanks for the additional details. Custom fields for results are shown when you view the test as part of the result list (either by clicking on a test) or by viewing in the three-pane view on the run page. If you submitted this field as part of your tests but don’t see it in the UI, it’s likely that you used an incorrect field name when submitting the field. Do you see a text box for this field when you open the Add Result dialog?

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-fields#custom_fields_for_test_results

Cheers,
Tobias