Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to trigger to View Progress-->Metrics?

After completing a Test Run and adding timings, how does one “roll up” the individual timings of individual tests, to get a value for how long an entire Test Run would take. I’m attempting to get time estimates after going through the Test Runs once and adding the timings.

Thanks,
Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your posting. This metric is not yet in TestRail but we’ve added it to our to-do list. You can get this metric by exporting the test run to Excel though and then calculate the sum for the Elapsed column. We don’t have this at the moment as TestRail comes with its own forecasting/summary feature as part of the Progress reports:

The forecast and estimates are calculated based on the estimates, actual elapsed times and average times across the test suite. You can also see the estimates and forecasts for a test suite in the sidebar.

I hope this helps.

PS: I’ve changed your username to remove the full email address so it’s not picked up by spam bots.

Regards,
Dennis

As a follow-on question, how does one Export the Test Run timings to Excel?
In the meantime, I’ll see what can be done with the forecasting/summary feature as part of Prog. rpts.
Thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your posting. When you open a test run in TestRail, there’s a small icon to export the data to Excel (or CSV/XML files). It’s the small icon with an application window and a small red arrow, next to the other icons in TestRail’s toolbar (the light blue bar with the test run name in it).

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dennis