Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to round-robin-assign test cases of a test run to a pool of testers

The scenario I am trying to implement, is having a pool of testers that try to complete a huge test suite’s test run that will be recreated on recurring base. Testers have different availability and thus a round-robin-style “just give me the next available test run test case” without any managerial or click-around overhead. To clarify: I don’t want to have to break down the test suite into smaller pieces that then have to be fix-assigned to one tester. Instead, whoever is available for testing shall just be able to easily pick up a test run test case as long as not all of one test run are completed. Right now, it seems two Testers can open the same test case of a test run and when both try to assign to themselves, the second will just overwrite the first assignment.

Allow users to select Cases by Case ID when building Test Plans

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, you can reassign tests and this would change previous assignments. It’s probably better to assign yourself a bunch of tests (5-10; e.g. a section) upfront on the overview page (the run page) instead of opening a number of tests and then working your way through them. When you are finished with the tests and still have time, you would continue with the next couple of tests.

Cheers,
Tobias

To quote myself:

The scenario I am trying to implement, is having a pool of testers that try to complete a huge test suite’s test run that will be recreated on recurring base.

So I interprete your answer as “No, we don’t have any sort of round robin auto-assignment and instead assignment has to be done manually in all cases”?

Hi Philip,

Yes, that’s correct. There’s currently no auto-assignment feature (e.g. round-robin) and I would recommend assigning a larger set of cases each time (e.g. a section) to minimize reassignments etc.

Cheers,
Tobias