Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to resolve com.test.APIException: TestRail API returned HTTP 403("This operation is not allowed. The test run belongs to a test plan and cannot be edited independently.")

I am using add_results for uploading test results for my test run. I created a new test plan and then created a test run inside it. During upload of my test results it throws error:
com.test.APIException: TestRail API returned HTTP 403(“This operation is not allowed. The test run belongs to a test plan and cannot be edited independently.”)
But all the test results get uploaded properly.

Can any one please help me to resolve this error.
Thanks,
Mansi

Hi Mansi,

Thanks for your posting. This message means that your code tries to update a test run (not results) which is part of a test plan. Runs in plans can only be modified via the update_plan_entry API method and update_run is only for standalone runs. Could you check if you call update_run as part of your code, maybe to change the case selection?

Note that this doesn’t affect the result adding via add_results and this would be independent of this and it seems that the result adding goes through in your case.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias…

1. Can I use update_plan_entry API for both test runs in and out of the test plan?
  2. If yes, can you please share a code snippet to use it.

Thanks,
Mansi

Thanks alot Tobias, the issue is resolved :slight_smile:

That’s great to hear, Mansi :slight_smile: update_plan_entry would only be for runs in plans but you can use update_run for standalone runs.

Cheers,
Tobias