Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to organize for tests on multiple platforms

Hi,

I’ll give a little bit of background information first. I’ve been hired at my company as the first tester. We are a small but fast growing company that produces web and smartphone applications and other software, as one of our activities. My boss wants me to set up the companies testing structure for our products. Also important to add: I’m new to testing.

We want an online test management tool that we can integrate with Jira. Testrail is my first choice at the moment. I’ve been trying it out and I must say that I like it a lot.

I would like the community’s advise on something:

What is the most efficient structure I can setup in testrail for software tests across multiple devices and OS? A typical project would look something like this (fictitious):

softwareX Brazil

• softwareX Brazil web application:

For Windows:
IE, google chrome, firefox, …

For Aplle:
safari, chrome …

• softwareX Bzazil phone application:

For android, iphone ios, Windows phone, …

How would you organize this in testrail?

I was thinking of creating:

• 2 separate projects for the web and phone apps
  • milestones for the different releases for the different platforms
  • test suites for the main features of the app
  • test cases for shared elements
  • subsections for elements that are different depending on the platforms (android, ios, …/ IE,chrome, …)

Is this a good way to organize testing in this scenario, or do you think their is a better way? I would love to create test plans that creates test runs for multiple platforms as shown in testrail’s video guides :smile:

Your advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance,

Jozef

Hi Jozef,

Thanks for your posting and welcome to the forum! I’m happy to help with your questions and sorry for the delayed response. Using configurations and test plans is definitely the recommended way to test against multiple platforms/configurations/environments.

If the web and phone apps have a lot of common test cases, it can make sense to use the same project for both applications. Otherwise, I would also recommend splitting them into two projects (especially if they don’t share the same milestones). We usually recommend using as few test suites as possible and it can even make sense to use a single test suite per project only:

Rather than test suites, we recommend using sections to structure your test cases. This has many advantages regarding creating test runs/plans for your entire case repository as well as creating reports.

One approach that is often used is to use a tag-like custom field to manage the platforms for your test cases:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/testrail-2-7-now-available/2259/

You can then easily filter on the test run/plan form for those tags and base your case selection on this field. This makes it very easy to create test runs (configurations) for your platforms.

Regards,
Tobias