Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to manage exploratory testing in TestRails

The documentation for testrails says that it supports exploratory testing. Are there any specific examples or how to go about this? Right now, we use testrails to manage our manual and automated regression tests.

The only thing that I have found in the documentation mentioned created a test case which basically becomes a test session. Do you keep your exploratory tests separate from your more structured test cases? Do you do this by project? by test section? or by meta data on the test case, like identifying the test case as an exploratory test case?

I could figure out a way to do this on my own, but it would be helpful if someone has found an approach that works.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your posting! Yes, we have many customers using TestRail for exploratory testing as well and the standard approach would be to use test cases to plan and manage test sessions. So, instead of adding traditional and structured test cases with steps, preconditions, expected results, etc., you would just store the session instructions in the case. You can also look into adding custom fields specifically used with test sessions such as a session outline.

The new 5.1 version also adds various exploratory testing related features such as faster ways to add comments or results with our new three-pane view:

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=4159

(see “Fast Test Comments For Exploratory Testing”, for example)

There are no strict guidelines how to structure your sections and case repository and this also applies to exploratory test sessions. So, you can either create separate sections for your test sessions, or mix them with your regular, structured cases, whichever works best for you. It definitely makes sense to keep them in the same case repository and project (if they share the same context).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks, that is helpful. We will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Hello Jeff,

Sounds good! Please let me know in case you have any further questions, we are happy to help. We also have additional features in the pipeline/planned that would be useful for exploratory testing.

Cheers,
Tobias