Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to link testrail test run results to JIRA

Hello Team,
Currently I have set up test cases and linked them with JIRA references and when I add test run for these cases, it does link the test results to JIRA under tab ‘For test cases’ and ‘All Result’ but it does not show anything under tab ‘For Tests’ instead it displays ‘No test results in TestRail are linked to this issue’.

I have 2 questions

1)Why it does not display anything under ‘For Tests’ tab, is it because there is no linking between test run results and JIRA id’s?, how could I link test cases and test results both with same JIRA reference.?

2)If I does not provide any reference in the test cases is there any way I could link the test run results with JIRA id?

Reagrds,
Ankit

Confusion around purpose of JIRA plugin's "For Tests" & "For Cases" views

Hello Ankit,

Thanks for your posting! Yes, you can link test results via the Defects field and this is what’s represented by the For Tests option in JIRA. The For Cases on the other hand displays results linked indirectly via the References field on the test case level and is mostly used to link requirements/features/user stories. The Defects fields on the Add Test Result dialog is also used to link test results to JIRA issues and this is mostly used to link bugs in JIRA to test results in TestRail (and vice versa).

You can also directly push/add new JIRA issues from the Add Test Result via TestRail’s pus feature:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira
http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-plugins

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias for quick reply.

Is there any way we can deactivate this ‘For Tests’ option in JIRA.

Reagrds,
Ankit

Hello Ankit,

This is currently not possible but we are happy to look into this, thanks for your feedback. The For Tests option would only show any results if you link issues with the Defects field from the Add Result dialog but those results also appear with the All Results option.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello,

Is there a way were I can link the test run/plan to a JIRA ticket instead of the individual test cases inside that test run/plan?

Thanks!

Hi Abegail - we don’t support linking test Runs or Plans to JIRA currently, because we haven’t really seen a good use case for it. Most of our users prefer to be able to see the test cases that would be included within the run or plan to be displayed in the Jira issue instead.

If you can explain your context a little more, and why linking the Run/Plan makes sense for you - then it’s certainly something we can look into further!

Thanks,
Simon.

Hi Simon,

I have a use case for this.

We run regression testing for our releases which consists of over 1000 test cases organised into a single test plan. It would not be very helpful to see the information on such a granular level (nor do we want JIRA to spend ages loading information for all of these test cases at once!). Instead it would be helpful to see the overall status of the test plan as well as status of each configuration or test run. For example, I want to see the following progress details of the Regression Test Plan and configuration or Test Run within this plan:

• % complete
  • number of passed/failed cases

Another use case would be that we are releasing a set of work completed within a sprint. We may have had test cases associated with various JIRA tickets, but towards the end of the sprint, we want to run through all of these test cases at once and therefore set up a plan to contain these. Similarly to the above, it would be helpful to see the progress of this plan and runs in one JIRA ‘release’ ticket.

Cheers,
Sarah

I was looking for this too. We always create a “Regression Test” task ticket in JIRA before every release and linking individual test cases to it just doesn’t work. Linking a Regression test run, however, would be great.

Darren

This feature also gets my vote.

Add my vote. Hope this feature can be implemented soon.

Add my vote too. It would really help us to sort our test if we could link/reference our test plan/run to Jira Issue instead of individual TCs.