Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to Import previously exported (then modified) test cases

I’m trying to modify a number of test cases, multiple fields need to be modified, and some of the fields already contain data so bulk editing is out (unless there is a way to append text instead of overwriting the text.

What I would expect to be able to do is:

1. Export the cases
  2. Modify them in Excel
  3. Import them back into testrail, merging them back into the existing cases in testrail with the fields that have changed over writing the old fields, while any fields that did not change are preserved.

I would expect this would work by using a common field like ID to map them?

Sorry if there is an easy way to do this, I’m new to testrail.

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for the post. With the CSV importer TestRail will always create new test cases. That being said, you can export to XML, edit the XML, and then import that back into TestRail. You could then have TestRail update the existing test cases.

Good afternoon,

I’ve attempted to export an existing test suite using CSV and making needed modifications in Excel and saved the edited file in XML format. The import of the XML formatted file proceeds without error, however, it does not update the testcases with the changes. Please let me know if there is something I am missing here.

I didn’t do the export to CSV, but instead directly to XML, so I’m not sure if that is what’s causing your issue. One piece of advise I can give is to make sure you select the Update existing test cases when you initially select the file to import. Other than that I don’t consider myself an expert in CSV, or XML, so I’m not sure how the way you tried it, and the way I did it (that worked) differ.

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your reply! We would recommend just exporting via XML and making changes this way so that you use the appropriate XML format when re-importing this into TestRail (as opposed to attempting to convert the CSV to an XML format). You would also just need to be sure to use the ‘Update existing test cases’ option when re-importing the modified XML via the import tool. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Hi there,

I’ve been attempting to import from an XML that has been validated with an editor that derived a schema from a testrail exported XML file. My file passes with flying colors but the test case are still not being updated.

The test modified date is updated on import but the description/preconditions/steps/expected results remain unchanged. Please advise

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your reply! As mentioned previously we would just recommend exporting directly from TestRail and modifying the export file directly as we wouldn’t be able to verify any third party editor/tool. We have many teams exporting via XML and editing it this way and don’t see any issues. If you continue to run into issues with this, can you please send in a sample XML file that isn’t working via email directly to contact@gurock.com so we can have a look? This would be the best way to troubleshoot this. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco