Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to handle obsolete test cases

How are folks dealing with the situation where you have obsolete test cases, but don’t want to delete them completely. The two things that jump out at me are a new Test Type, or a custom boolean field.

Any recommendations? Is there something already in the product I’m missing that will work for this?

We have implemented a new Test Type named Obsolete, and then (because our Project contains > 5000 test cases) we have also created a new Suite called Obsolete Test Cases.

This then has sections that match the project’s Suites, and the test cases are moved into the obsolete test cases suite with the subsections that match the real suite structure.

Hello,

Thanks for your posting and my apologies for the delayed response. If you have archived your finished test runs/plans (via the lock icon in the toolbar when viewing test runs/plans), you can also safely delete your test cases and this wouldn’t affect closed test runs/plans. If you don’t want to do this, I would also recommend adding a new custom field for this (Obsolete yes/no, either a checkbox or dropdown) and you can filter out those test cases when creating new test plans/runs by using a custom test case selection (via the Select Cases link):

Regards,
Tobias