Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to find test case that have never been executed?

Hi,

We are currently evaluating TestRail so my question is from a new user.

How can I identify test cases that have never been run?

Here the scenario I had in mind. I created a very low priority test case for a bug fix that I know will be tested only once. But I intentionally forgot to run the test. Now how can TestRail help me identify that I forgot to run the test?

I tried the “Status Tops” report but it only appear to report a count value for the tests that have been run at least once (or have an untested status, which is not the same as my scenario).

The question is also from a manager point of view, help identify what might have been missed between creating a test and executing it.

Thanks,

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Thanks for your posting! You can use the Results > Comparison for Cases report in this case. The Latest (Coverage) column will be empty for those cases that have never been tested. You can select the scope on the Test Runs tab when creating the report. If you have many test runs and are only interested in the coverage, you can also disable the per-run columns and only display the coverage.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

This is exactly what I was looking for. I just play a little with that “Latest (coverage)” column and it seems to contains the more recent (in date/time) execution status for the qualifying test cases.

Pretty good.

Thanks,

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Great to hear that! :slight_smile: Yes, the Latest column represents the latest/most recent test result (in the configured scope).

Cheers,
Tobias