Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to filter test cases based on those that do not have an estimate set

How do I show all testcases that do not yet have an estimate assigned to them? Seems like I’ve seen this question asked before but I didn’t see it when I searched here.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You can simply add the Estimate column to your tables (via the Columns button) and then click on the Estimate header to sort your cases. This will show the cases with and without estimate.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

OK fair enough, but that still doesn’t present me with a list of only those cases that do not have estimates, and therefore makes it tiresome to assign an estimate to them (even if I only wanted to assign a blanket value of, say 15m to each).

Would be great to see the ability to filter on this field in the future! Basically just adding in a “does not exist” or “is not set” condition would do the trick.

Hi Jeff,

All cases without estimate would be grouped/ordered together and you can assign a default estimate for those cases with the bulk-edit feature as the next step. Just order your cases by the Estimate column, select all cases without an estimate and then use the bulk-edit to set the Estimate field for those cases. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

That’s what I did. The tedious part is actually doing all the selecting. Unless I am missing a shortcut, I had to select each checkbox individually, which quickly becomes tiresome!

Hi Jeff,

Yep, it’s planned to look into this and a generic not-set/null filter for various filter types is already on our feature request list, happy to add another vote.

Cheers,
Tobias