Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to document test results if there are lots of them

Hello.
In the past, we have been using excel to document test results, It was allowing us to write multiple SQL queries to show test data in big tables and then show yet another SQL which was proving that expected result happened.
As a result, such documentation is quite big in size and relies on highlighting relevant cells in excels.

Now, as we moved to TestRail, I wonder how to proceed so we utilize test runs functionality. Blindly copy pasting stuff into actual results may not be a valid option for us. I fear that rich text editing and the sheer size of our results could be problematic to maintain and input. What would be perfect is some small excel like editor inside test results that would allow us to edit in cells.

Is there any smart way to do it? Any hints?

Hello Pawel,

Thanks for your posting. Could you please a share a few more details? For example, if you have many results and can automate adding the results, you can look into using TestRail’s API for this:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/start

The API or CSV/XML exports can also be used to generate custom reports if you need to generate reports that aren’t covered by TestRail’s statistics and the reports tab, for example.

Cheers,
Tobias

HEre is example

We create results manually, show query after query and than apply some colour coding to show client that relevant business logic worked

select * from table_xxx where promn_id like ‘B1000%’

PRGM_KEY PROMN_ID BUS_COMMON_CD PUSH_AT
A10000 B100000 11136 10-13-2015
A10000061 B10073 112016 10-13-2015 9:15:06 AM

The problem is that we show quite a lot of columns at times and there could be many queries. I am looking for a convenient way to store such manual results in test runs in TestRail.
Doing them in excel or other app and then uploading to TestRail is not something that I would like us to be doing.

Hi Pawel,

Thanks! You could look into leveraging TestRail’s new table feature and this could be a good fit for your data:

You could also look into generating the related table code for TestRail in the same step as running/verifying the queries and results. Would this maybe be an option?

Cheers,
Tobias