Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to create reporting filters

I’ve recently took over as admin on a Testrail instance and I’m learning the ropes here. One of our users are requesting that we allow report summaries to be sorted by “Type” under Summary section in Reports. See attached screenshot. Can you tell me where to go to configure this?

Thank you!

0 Likes

Hi Dominic,

The report tab doesn’t currently support any kind of sorting. In fact the default newest on top separated by shared vs private works for most teams.

If you plan on having a lot of reports it is best to configure them once and schedule them to run repeatedly. You will then always have the newest report listed at the top.

0 Likes

Thanks. We aren’t concerned with sorting per se’. We have several categories listed under “Summary” on the reporting tab (right column). What I’m asking is how we would add a category under the “Summary” section in the right column. As you can see from the screenshot, we have “Milestone”, “Plan”, “Projects”, etc. My users are asking that I add a field titled “Type” under Summary. I’m just not seeing where this is configured.

Thanks

0 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. The right-hand menu items are actually templates for reports. Adding another option here would be creating additional templates. While it’s possible to create your own template it would require some coding on your part. Custom report templates are also only supported for TestRail Server as it requires custom coding and file system access.

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-custom/reports-introduction

Alternatively you can setup reports based on the required criteria. Give it a title that’s easy to recognize and each time a similar report needs to be used click the “Create Similar” button to quickly generate the same report.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info. As for setting up the reports based on required criteria; Is that an administrative function, or is that something the that end user can do?

0 Likes

Any user can create a reports and also make them shareable. They would only need to have the correct permission applied.

The permission will be listed under Administration >> Users & Roles. Cross reference a user’s role to find out what access is provided.

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-permissions

0 Likes