Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to copy a test run in a test plan?

Dear Gurock team,

I am writing to you regarding the copying of a test run (with manual test cases that are executed manually on a daily basis) in a test plan (regression test portfolio).
I know that there is the button “Re-run Test Plan” which though results in more test plans (i.e. in my case in more regression test portfolios).

What I need (end result) is more daily test runs and their results in one single test plan which is the regression test portfolio.

I kindly ask your support with this issue.

Thank you very much and kind regards,

Tünde

Hello Tünde,

Thanks for your posting. You can simply add another test run to the plan via the Add Test Run(s) (or Add Test Suite) button from the sidebar. This wouldn’t automatically copy the properties of the previous run in the plan (that’s what Rerun Plan would do), but you would still have it in the same regression test plan. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello Tobias,

thank you for the quick reply.
I was aware of the procedure described by you above - though, I still need to copy all the test cases available in the test run manually.

To this I would have liked to have a better solution.

Kind regards,

Tünde

Hello Tünde,

Do you mean copying the case selection? It’s true that the case selection is not automatically copied this would only apply to runs that don’t include all cases. Or are you looking for an automatic case selection based on the previous status (similar to Rerun)?

Cheers,
Tobias

Dear Tobias,

thank you for the quick reply.
I am looking for a solution where I can copy the same test run with the same test cases within one test plan.
The purpose is that the existing regression test cases in the test run can be exeucted on a daily basis without creating a new test plan.

Kind regards,

Tünde

Thanks, Tünde! Copying a plan entry/run in a plan is currently not directly possible but you can simply use the Add Test Suite/Add Test Run button from the sidebar to add a new entry/run. We also happy to look into making it easier to duplicate existing runs in a plan.

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias,

I also really need this feature. I had a large regression test plan with several test runs and a lot of cases, and I needed to move the test runs with the steps to a different test plan. This took a lot of work, having to rebuild everything.

Please add one vote to this feature!

Thanks,
Kelly P

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your posting and feedback! If you just want to execute the same test plan again, you can simply use the Rerun button (when viewing a test plan in the blue toolbar). This will start a new test plan with the same test runs & case selection and saves a lot of time over recreating the test plan manually.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Gurock,

Please add the feature to copy Test Runs (not just rerunning Test Plans).

It would be a huge time saver!

Cheers,

Harry

Hey Harry,

Thank you for the post. We do have this on our list and are happy to add a vote to this for you.

Hi,

I would like to add another vote to adding the feature to copy Test Runs (not just rerunning Test Plans).

Thanks,

Erin

Thanks for your feedback, Erin!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,

I would like to add another vote to adding the feature to copy Test Runs (not just rerunning Test Plans).

Thanks
Murielle

I would need feature to save test run locally in a file. Then I could save some frequently used test runs as templates and wouldn’t have to create them from scratch.

br. Jarkko

Hi,

Thanks
Amin

add a vote for this feature please.

One more vote for the feature, is there any update on this?

Hi,

Thanks,

Fran