Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to configure TestRail for project where several hardware platforms with several absolutely independent modes supposed to be under testing

Hi all,

I am looking for the best practices how to configure TestRail for project where several hardware platforms with several absolutely independent modes supposed to be under testing.
I would be really grateful for every advise.

It is clear for me how to work with platforms, but I don’t know how I can define modes.
Some features are common for all modes, some of them not.
Don’t want to create test suits for every mode, I believe it should be smarter solution for this.

Thank you.

Hi Fedor,

Thanks for your posting. If you use test plans & configurations, TestRail will automatically create test runs for all possible configuration combinations (across different configuration groups):

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/videos/test-plans-configurations/

As an alternative to using multiple groups, it’s also possible to use a single group instead and specify the exact combinations (platforms/modes) you would like to use. his can make sense if calculating the combinations would generate configurations you would likely never use.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias