Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

How to add customized text field to 'Test Runs and Results' columns?

After stage testing a suggested fix from Gurock to resolve a corrupted TestRail DB issue, we are encountering an error with customized fields.

In order to keep the older case ID, the suggested fix from Gurock was to create a new customized TestCase field called ‘org_testcase_id’ and remap the older case id when exporting our 300K+ cases. So far in all our tests, this works.

On further inspection, our validation team noted an issue where created ‘Test Runs and Results’ views do not have the ability to add the new customized TestCase text field ‘org_testcase_id’ with the ‘Add column’ option.

Is there a way around this?

Hi rraney,

Rather than creating the additional column directly in the database for that field. I would recommend using the WebGUI as this is both easier and the officially supported method. Under Administration >> Customization there is both a section for “Case Fields” and “Results Field”. Be sure to add the ‘org_testase_id’ field to the proper section.

It is a Case field created using the ‘GUI’ aforementioned within the Case area. This was created to allow importing the original cases from the OLD testrail server via the ‘Import CSV’ feature.

Creating a new customized field within the ‘Results’ area will not display the custom Case field. From your response, I get the feeling you can map custom ‘case’ field to the custom ‘results’ field.

If not then how do I map the 'Test Runs & Results view? You allow other Test Case fields, but not custom fields added to Test Cases.

Hi there,

Thanks for the additional details. It is possible to add a custom field to the columns in the Test Runs and Results page (as well as the overall test case list) but the availability will be dependent on the type of field. Text fields are not supported as columns, but any field type that is labeled as Top in the location column when viewing your custom fields will be available as a column. This includes things like strings, integers, URLs, dates, etc.

In your case, you may need to create a second custom field for the original IDs in the string format, which you would then be able to add a column when viewing your test cases/runs.

Hope that helps!